PalmSHIELD’s PlaySAFE playground fencing solution is exactly what our playgrounds need to assure our children are kept safe and secure while providing an attractive complimentary screening solution that compliments our playground equipment and adjoining building finishes. Playgrounds are creative environments for children to have fun, play, grow, learn, and socialize. These wonderful spaces should never pose a threat to our children. Today’s playground and community leaders have published and even enacted into law many documents to protect children from hazards on playgrounds, most notably the CPSC Handbook for Public Playground Safety and ASTM Standards. Many states have adopted one or both of these into law, either in their entirety or certain portions. PalmSHIELD’s PlaySAFE playground fencing meets these standards in providing screening solutions that provide a safe barrier that both prevent children from inappropriately leaving the playground while assuring children do not get hurt by the screening.
The ASTM – F2049 fencing standard sets out to minimize the likelihood of injury or death on today’s playgrounds. A primary concern is vehicular intrusion into a playground. A vehicle rolling or traveling into the play area. Another concern is kids climbing a fence, squeezing through openings (in it or under it) and running away from a play area and into a street or nearby body of water. The appropriate playground fencing should also deter baseballs, soccer balls and other intrusions from striking children while playing. The standard also addresses the minimum height (48 inches based on kids under 5 years old) for a gate latch in order to “limit or delay” a child from opening the gate.
PalmSHIELD’s PlaySAFE playground fencing is designed with ASTM – F2049 in mind. Our screening solutions incorporate the below design criteria to assure a safe playground and an attractive screening solution.
- Button head stainless steel screws. No sharp bolts or screws.
- Standard 4” square steel posts with round beveled ¾” beveled plates. No corners no sharp edges.
- Vehicle barrier protection available with 6” square steel posts, ¾” beveled plates and continuous W-beam guardrail.
- 3” x 3” x ¼” structural aluminum angle framework screened panels.
- Solid infill 36” and lower to prevent climbing and visibility for smaller children three or younger.
- No openings greater than 1 3/4”. No openings smaller than 1/2”. These openings prevent climbing and openings too small.
- Gates with lock sets at 48” heights.
- Panic hardware, fire exit and alarmed devices are available and factory installed.
- Gate closures available and factory installed.